Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Recipes for a Crowd and Specialty Items

I use this recipe for mayonaise. I got tired of paying extremely high prices
for mayonaise and decided to try my own and it was surprisingly easy and tastey.
Further I can triple the recipe and fill a 2 quart jar with it and it will last
for about two weeks. Yes, while I don't eat mayo myself other than to make
dressing with it my menfolk love it and slather it on like crazy. Sometimes I
divide the triple recipe into thirds and flavor each third differently, for
instance I add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a spicy mayo for my son who
loves really hot foods and loves me to sprinkle cayenne pepper on his
sandwiches, or a few tablespoons of pesto to make a fabulous spread for
roastbeef sandwiches and its even great to dip your homecooked fries in, I add
some relish to make homemade sandwich spread etc. We are talking pennies on the
dollar for a homemade product.

Mayonaise

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (or 1 teaspoon brown regular mustard)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 whole eggs
2 Tablespoons white vinegar (you can also use lemon juice if you like that
better or cider vinegar)
2 cups oil (vegetable or olive, safflower etc I use the cheapest)
Optional: a pinch of paprika
1. In a food processor or blender (I use the food processor) put in the salt,
eggs, vinegar and mustard. Give it a few pulses to mix.

2. Set on medium or high and turn it on and drizzle slowly the oil, when the oil
has been completely added let it go a few minutes more to whip it completely.
Put it in a container or jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator.

This is not as thick as Best Foods or Hellmans but they add thickeners to get
that real thick custardy texture. This is the mayo that your Grandma had to
make for her family during the depression.

Apple Pie Filling   

Per Quart:

5 apples

1 c. sugar
1/4 c. corn starch
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 c. water
3/4 c. apple juice
2 TBSP lemon juice

Core, peel and slice apples. Place in boiling water for 1 minute. Set aside and keep hot. Boil remaining ingredients until desired thickness. I barely let mine reach a full boil. Fill hot sterilized quart jars alternating apples and syrup until it is almost full. Run a knife down the side to remove air bubbles. Add more apples and syrup. Process 25 minutes.

Cabbage Burgers

This recipe is great for a crowd or you can freeze for many later on meals.
Ingredients
 FILLING
6 lb hamburger (you can use deer or elk)
salt and pepper to taste
garlic salt to taste
5 Tbsp minced garlic
2 lg onions
4 md cabbage heads
5 loaves of bread dough
BREAD DOUGH
1 c water, warm
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c powdered milk
1 tsp salt
1 lg egg
1/4 c oil or butter(melted)
3 c flour
Directions
Start by browning the meat using salt and pepper and garlic salt to taste. add in 1 of the onions and 1 or 2 tablespoon of the garlic as well. Drain the meat and set aside.
While you are browning the meat you should chop up the onions and cabbage. I like small chunks of onion and medium sized chunks of cabbage.
Add cabbage, onion, and remaining garlic to large stalk pot add the burger on top of cabbage and mix. Season to taste with salt pepper and garlic salt
Let simmer on LOW heat till cabbage is tender
I use my bread machines to make the bread, add 1tbsp yeast and 1tbsp sugar to 1 cup warm water mix till dissolved and place in bread machine then add the other ingredients in order to the machine an set on dough setting.
As soon as everything is ready to go, roll out dough and cut them into 12 squares large enough for a heaping 1/2 cup of the cabbage mixture. Fold up the corners and "just a pinch" to seal them and place them on a large cookie sheet.
I have it set up so when I take one batch of bread dough out I start the next loaf right away so that by the time the cabbage burgers come out of the oven and cool I can be working on the next batch.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, till nice and golden brown. Lightly brush tops of rolls with butter. Serve right from the oven, and freeze the rest if there is any. Enjoy!!!
You can cut this down but where I only do the majority of my baking in the winter I do it this away and freeze them.

Yeast Rolls

Again this is for a crowd or to make and freeze ahead.
Ingredients
2 1/2 lb plain flour
1/2 c dry milk
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1/4 c instant yeast
3/4 c melted, cooled butter (or shortening, room temperature)
3 c lukewarm water
Directions
Sift together all of the dry ingredients. Mix Well.

Add yeast, lukewarm water and cooled melted butter.
Beat 15 minutes (this is an important step).
Let rise.
Roll out to 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick on a floured serface. Cut out rolls with cutter.
Place on greased pans. Let rise again.
Bake at 350°F until done, (about 35 to 40 minutes, until tops have browned), just keep an eye on them.
Remove from oven and butter tops.
Makes approximately 65 rolls.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you are enjoying my blog!