Sunday, January 30, 2011

Food, Glorius Food!

First, let me apologise for not writing in so long.  I am one of those temperamental artist types who has to feel "moved" in order to create.  NAAAAAAAAHHHH!  Actually I have had other issues come up involving so many things that I had to put it off for a bit. 

I have had a love affair with food for as long as I can remember.  I can remember  hearing my grandmother tell someone that my cousin was a picky eater, then she added "Stephie would eat a turd if I fried it".  I don't think I ever ate a fried turd but I've not eaten too many things I didn't like. 
Lot's of people have a whole big idea about why they eat or overeat.  Some folks think its due to a deprived childhood or an abusive situation.  I know why I am overweight.  I eat too much.  I love food.  I love to cook and I am a good cook who likes my own cooking.  I am often disappointed when I eat out, I always feel I could have done better in my own kitchen.  Other than things like Chinese, Japanese, some Italian, maybe few other ethnic meals I really prefer my own.
I love to create recipes, rework recipes, try recipes and even just browse recipes.  I feel that cooking is just like art.  In art you need to know shadow and light, color and lack of color, presentation of subject matter and have an innate ability to know what goes with what to make a picture interesting.  Same goes for cooking.   Combining flavors, colors, smells and interesting combinations.  I see a cooking show and watch them create something and I usually immediately think, "Hmm, I wonder how that would taste if I....".
The biggest mystery in the world to me is how someone who likes to eat and enjoys food and cannot cook.  How does that happen?  How can a person not taste something and start identifying the food in their mouth?  A bit of cinnamon, some vanilla ooh creamy, must be heavy cream or half and half...what if I made it with a bit of nutmeg!  But I have met people who burn water!  (My husband is one..he wouldn't know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich!)
I like easy cooking, I want to put a few items together, throw it in a pot, pan or roaster and forget about it till dinner time.  I want it however, to taste like I cooked all day, measured, peeled, sauced and stood all day over a hot oven. 
I have lots of great recipes that I have put together over the years.  Last year I finally bought a recipe book program and spent months cooking, photographing and typing in the recipes.  I created 4 cookbooks for 3 of my granddaughters and my daughter-in-law.  I also made a section in which I put a lot of old family pictures (some from the 1860's) and genealogy information.  I included family history information and stories.  It was a work of love and it was something I had been working on for years.  Then my computer crashed.  It was the hard drive, no way to get anything back.  So I am back to gathering my recipes again.  I have scanned a lot of the pages of my grandaughters' book so I can replace most of them.  The trouble is I modified each book so it had the favorite recipes for the individual and omitted the recipes they didn't like, the result is no two books are alike...
I'm not really crazy about the recipe program I purchased, for one thing it doesn't allow me to cut and paste.  For another, it won't let me import.  This means every single recipe has to be put in by hand, hours and hours of work.  So I think my next book will come after I find a better program.
Next post will be more on food and some of my favorite recipes...

Goldrush Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you are enjoying my blog!