Sunday, May 30, 2010

Throwers of Stones

What makes people do what they do?  Is it some childhood happening or something taught by parents, maybe something learned as an adult?  I wonder what makes some people the loveliest people you've ever met and others hateful?

In the last few days there have been two things that have really struck me.  My good E friend Sharon who happens to be Jewish (as was my great grandmother) somehow came across a group called "Hating Israel, on Facebook". It is beyond me why Facebook would allow any hategroupsFacebook should have a positive image and a positive content.  Yeah I know all about freedom of expression and freedom of speech.  But I believe you should not have the freedom to infringe upon another individuals beliefs.  Remember, mom said if you can't say something nice......?  I guess that's just too simple, it probably runs into all kinds of legalities and infringements to just either be polite or keep your ideas in your own arena.  It seems to me that to be politically correct is another way of saying it's ok to stomp on someone else as long as its in the name of being fair to only one race, religion or creed. 

Speaking of HATE.  My beautiful 16 year old grandson was hit in the head with an object because someone at his school thought he was "GAY".  He has long lovely dark hair, the same color as his grandpa's by the way, he is a "rocker" which I suppose means he is into rock and roll.  I didn't know that long hair and rock and roll was symbolic of being "GAY".  He loves the girls and the girls seem to love him, but bottom line is that whether he is or isn't GAY is not the issue.  The issue is that to be struck with a rock in the head because someone thought you were GAY is a HATE crime. 


My cousin was GAY.  I loved her very much, she was fun, pretty, kind, witty, intelligent and GAY.  I don't know why she was GAY.  I won't go into the politics of whether it is an inherent trait or conscious choice.  I did not agree with her life style, but I loved her as a human being and family member.  I would hope that she would have made the proper choices and understood God's love for her.  She had a terrible childhood, it was full of tragic circumstances that no child should have to experience. She died very suddenly in a horrific crash.  I do hope she made the right choices in her relationship with God.  I don't know that she ever knew how much she was loved. 

I suppose Jesus was the first person we can identify who was a victim of a hate crime.  Over the last 2000 years there have been many brought to our attention.  Anne Frank, Matthew Shepard, John the Baptist, the list could go on and on.  In some cases the death of someone insured that a change would take place but at the cost of a precious life. 

For Christians the death of Jesus means everlasting life for those who accept him as their Savior.  For Christians it also means we are to be compassionate and non-judgmental.  It's an awful hard thing not to be consumed with anger towards someone who hurts those you love.  I wonder if that's how those hateful people got that way.  So I am back to square one.  I am commanded by my Lord to pray for those people who hurt my friends and family ....and forgive them.  I am only human but I know that the only way to serve God is to be an example of God's love.  Only through God can I forgive those that hurt the ones I love.  So tonight when I review my list of people and issues to pray about I know what will be at the top of my list.

The entire incident has lead me to review my own feelings about homosexuality and truthfully I didn't like what I discovered.  I had to do some real serious soul searching about my own feelings and probably left over input from my parents and grandparents.

I recently read the following information written by Lehman Strauss:

What should be the Christian's attitude toward the homosexual?
We must always keep before us the fact that homosexuals, like all of us sinners, are the objects of God's love. The Bible says, "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). Jesus Christ "is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world" (I John 2:2). The Christian who shares God's love for lost sinners will seek to reach the homosexual with the gospel of Christ, which "is the power of God unto salvation, to every one that believeth" (Romans 1:16). As a Christian I should hate all sin but I can find no justification for hating the sinner. The homosexual is a precious soul for whom Christ died. We Christians can show him the best way of life by pointing him to Christ. Our Lord said, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15). We are obligated to take the gospel to all.

So even though my grandson is not gay, someone thought he was and his treatment by that person/persons was not the way Christ would have wanted anyone to be treated.  We are to hate the sin but not the sinner!   Which means we cannot hate the thrower of the stone anymore than the person who was the object of the stone. 
Dont'cha just love how it all works out when God is in control!

Gold Rush Grandma








Gold Rush Grandma 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you are enjoying my blog!